Lifeline Canberra is the original creator of the Accidental Counsellor course.
This one-day program has been developed for people in virtually any role, who find themselves in situations where counselling or empathetic communication is required.
The program provides participants with a range of tried and tested counselling skills that work to create effective communication and de-escalate clients who are high distressed, angry, abusive, manipulative or need assistance for a mental health issue.
This course covers the following topics:
- Understand basic communication and counselling skills
- Draw on basic de-escalation techniques when assisting someone in a time of crisis
- Communicate with very distressed people
- Have a basic understanding of depression, anxiety and psychosis
- Develop basic strategies for dealing with people in difficult situations
- Explore and discuss the reasons for self-care and self-reflection, how to care for one's self and use debriefing strategies.
Participants will leave with a toolbox of skills and be competent in the following:
- Identifying signs of individuals in need of crisis support
- Active listening skills
- Crisis support skills
- Setting boundaries
- Self-care and self-reflection
Face-to-face or virtually (via Zoom or MSTeams only)
Minimum 8 participants / Maximum 18 participants
To make a booking, please contact us via the button below or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
By attending training with Lifeline, you agree to our terms and conditions.
No courses currently scheduled.